Each summer, Mensa Canada holds an annual literary contest for poetry and short stories.
The theme for 2023 is connections.
You could write about relationships, networks, friends, bonds, agreements, or even the glue that binds you. The sky is the limit for your imagination! Play with this idea and make a short story or poetry, and maybe win a prize!
Submissions must be received by June 26, 2023. Winners will be announced at the Annual General Meeting during the Annual Gathering in Montreal on July 16, 2023.
There will be prizes of $50 and $30 for the top two contestants in each category. There are also $30 prizes for the top contestants in the new <12 and 12-20 age groups. And of course glory, a certificate and the prestige of having a published work.
Need inspiration? Check out the winning entries below the rules!
- Competition is open to 2023 Mensa Canada members in good standing (paid up).
- The theme is connections.
- There is no entry fee. Contestants may submit one entry in each category.
- Fiction short story must be 1,000 words or less. Poetry must be 30 lines or less (excluding title). Works exceeding this are automatically disqualified.
- Entries must be the sole work of the entrant and must be original unpublished work. The author retains copyright of the story/poetry, but will grant Mensa non-exclusive rights to publish in Mensa newsletters and the Mensa website. The contestants agree that the names of winners may be published nationally.
- Entries will be judged on originality, creativity and artistic quality. Decision of the panel of judges is final.
- Works containing profanity, vulgarity or offensive material will be disqualified. The judge panel will determine if this condition applies.
- Prizes will be awarded July 16, at the 2023 AGM, in each category to firsts ($50) and second ($30). There are two prizes in a new category for youth entries, $30 for first in the <12 group, and $30 for first in the 12-20 group. If somebody qualifies for a prize in both youth and adult categories, they will get one prize, whichever is the highest value.
- Submissions must be in English or French.
- Submission date is June 26, 2023. Send submissions electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By submitting entries for the competition, the entrant accepts all the conditions listed above.
Mensa Canada is proud to announce the winners and finalists of the Annual Literary Contest. We hope that you will enjoy reading the winning entries as much as the judges did.